Over the past 12 months Metro Vancouver Alliance has seen a fundamental change in the status from a ‘pre-launch’ organization to a fully founded affiliate of the Industrial Areas Foundation. This represents a significant change in direction. While we will continue to focus on recruitment of new organizations, leadership training and institutional development, MVA will now be operating on the public stage as an organization engaged in active campaigning.
Over the past year we have:
• Completed a listening campaign involving conversations with hundreds of people in our member organizations
• Carried out a discernment exercise to choose the issues that will form MVA’s public agenda
• Held a very successful founding assembly attended by 650 people, with senior political, faith and community leaders in attendance
• Carried out leadership and listening training for community leaders from over 100 institutions
• Established four Research Action Teams that are developing specific proposals in the run up to the November 2014 municipal elections
• Put plans in place to hold an ‘Election Accountability Assembly’ in October 2014.
• Attracted new members from the faith, labour, community and educational sectors
• Built a governance structure and financial base to sustain and support the organization
MVA will be holding a number of events and leadership institutes in 2014/15. For details see Upcoming Events.
Institutions interested in exploring membership in Metro Vancouver Alliance – and in shaping its agenda – are encouraged to contact us to learn more and arrange meetings with your organization’s key leaders.
Deborah Littman, Lead Organizer, Metro Vancouver Alliance
Mail: 1019 Broughton St. Vancouver, BC V6G 2A7