MVA - Leadership Institute (Part 1)
Jan 30, 2015 10:00 PM
Jan 31, 2015 06:30 PM
|Where||Capilano University Library 2055 Purcell Way, North Vancouver, BC|
|Contact Name||Deborah Littman|
|Add event to calendar||
Friday, Jan 30, 7:00 - 9:00 PM & Saturday, Jan 31, 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM
We start and end on time!
For more details and to register go to: http://metvanalliance.nationbuilder.com/leadership_institute
This two day training is for those who share an interest in strengthening civil society and working together for the common good. Part of the training experience will be working with other community leaders from diverse institutions on the universals of broad based community organizing.
The Institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 60 years of organizing experience. The topics include:
- Why organize? – examining the history and traditions of our labour, faith, community and educational organizations.
- The fundamental organizing skills – individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action.
- Strengthening our institutions – systematically engaging people in a culture that is relational, action- oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues – moving from general problems to concrete, winnable issues.
- Using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
Participants from MVA member organizations: FREE
Participants NOT from MVA member organizations: $50.00 for the weekend (to be applied to future membership dues)
Refreshments throughout the weekend and lunch on Saturday will be provided.
Please pass this invitation on to others who may be interested in attending the training.