Sound - Leadership Institute for Public Life - Winter 2019 - (Part 2)
Jan 19, 2019
from 09:30 AM to 03:30 PM
|Where||Seattle Education Association, 5501 4th Avenue S, Seattle, First Floor|
|Contact Name||Dorothy Gibson|
|Contact Phone||(206) 778-2703|
|Add event to calendar||
Friday, January 18th 7:00 – 9:00 PM and Saturday, January 19th 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM
Kick off Martin Luther King Jr. weekend learning the basics of community organizing so you can be a leader for positive change and justice in our community!
This two-day training is for those who share an interest in working together for the common good.
The Institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 70 years of organizing experience. The topics include:
- Why organize? – Examine the history, traditions, and values of our labor, faith, community and educational organizations.
- Fundamental organizing skills – Learn tools to conduct individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action to help obtain a concrete, winnable outcome.
- Strengthening our institutions – Engage people systematically in a culture that is relational, action-oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues – Focus from general problems to concrete, winnable issues by using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
- Participants from Sound Alliance member organizations: FREE
- Participants NOT from Sound Alliance member organizations: $50.00 (to be applied to future membership dues)
- Lunch will be provided on Saturday. We are asking for a $10 donation to offset costs.
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, January 15