Sound - Leadership Institute for Public Life - Pierce County Winter 2019
Feb 16, 2019
from 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM
|Where||Eastside Family Support Center, 3569 E Roosevelt Ave, Tacoma|
|Contact Name||Dorothy Gibson|
|Contact Phone||(206) 778-2703|
|Add event to calendar||
Saturday, February 16th 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
The Sound Alliance, in King and Pierce Counties, is made up of faith, labor, and community organizations dedicated to building a base of everyday citizen leaders to effectively stand for change they want to see in their communities.
Join us at this one-day training to learn our organizing model and to be part of our work for the common good!
The Institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 70 years of organizing experience. The topics include:
- Why organize? – Examine the history, traditions, and values of our labor, faith, community and educational organizations.
- Fundamental organizing skills – Learn tools to conduct individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action to help obtain a concrete, winnable outcome.
- Strengthening our institutions – Engage people systematically in a culture that is relational, action-oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues – Focus from general problems to concrete, winnable issues by using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
- Participants from Sound Alliance member organizations: FREE
- Participants NOT from Sound Alliance member organizations: $50.00 (to be applied to future membership dues)
- Lunch will be provided on Saturday. We are asking for a $10 donation to offset costs.
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, February 13