Assembly: Alliance Members Discern Top Issues
The Spokane Alliance had a successful Discernment Assembly on June 12th, with just under 60 people in attendance from a large number of our member organizations.
Over the past three months, Spokane Alliance leaders had about 475 intentional conversations (mostly house meetings and individual meetings) within our membership. Our goals were to:
- Strengthen our member organizations
- Surface new people / potential leaders. Engage existing leaders at a new level
- Surface mutual interests, issues, hopes and concerns inside our broad membership
- Build / strengthen relationships
At the assembly:
- We heard about how doing this process of listening and engaging members helps build stronger organizations
- We heard most of the problems and issues that came up in the intentional conversations
- We got a good sense of which issues people had the most interest and energy to act on and get involved with - the top two so far are health care and environment / sustainability
- Leaders agreed to bring this information back to their organizations to see if there are any more people wanting to get involved in any of the issues on this list. If you need the final list of all of the issues surfaced, email Carol and she'll send it to you.
By the end of July, we want to have a full picture and be able to see which problems / issues elicit the most energy to be worked on together as an alliance.
We will build research action teams around the issues where people showed an energy, determination, and willingness to do the work.
Thank you to all who participated in the Listening Season. This work isn't easy, but it's what makes a difference!
If you, or another member of your institution wants to be involved in a powerful Spokane Alliance campaign starting from the ground up, this workshop is a great place to start:
Workshop: How to Build a Research Action Team and Turn a Problem into an Issue
Wednesday June 28th 6:30 - 8:00 PM @ WFSE Local 1221, 222 W Mission, Suite 201, Spokane
Thursday July 20th 3:30 - 5:00 PM @ Westminster United Church of Christ, 411 S Washington (social hall), Spokane
Administrative Board Members Confirmed
Spokane Alliance held our Annual Meeting the same night as the Assembly.
Leaders voted to confirm the following Administrative Board members:
- Co-Chair: Karen Dorn Steele, Unitarian Universalist Church of Spokane
- Co-Chair: Melissa Carpenter, Washington Federation of State Employees Local 1221
- Secretary: Adriane Leithauser, Fuse Washington
- Treasurer: Jason Benway, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 73
In addition, leaders voted to approve the budget.